Monday, November 03, 2008

Why I Voted for "That One"

I have left the battleground state of Colorado for Iowa due to a family emergency, but I thought that I would leave one final post before the election. Here are the reasons that I voted for "that one":

  1. Energy Plan - For as long as I can remember, I have been told that the planet would eventually run out of fossil fuels. The United States has done very little to research and use alternative fuels, but Obama has a thorough hand comprehensive energy plan with the caveat that it will create jobs and bolster the economy.
  2. Foreign Policy - The war in Iraq was a trumped up debacle and continues to be. The Iraq government has been asking us to leave for a long time, but the Bush administration has insisted that we stay so that we can mold Iraq into the country that we want it to be. We need to leave in a responsible manner and Barack Obama wants to initiate this withdrawal. Furthermore, we should join our allies to solve conflicts diplomatically. John McCain has the direct opposite philosophy.
  3. Health Care - I believe that everyone should have health care. We are the only industrialized nation in the world that does not provide this for its citizens. Currently, the government already pays for approximately 45% of health care costs, so a compromise should be reached to help those in need.
  4. Farms - Barack Obama supported the 2008 Farm Bill. John McCain said that he would veto that bill as president and wants to abolish most farm subsidies because he considers them pork barrel spending.

While I agree with Barack Obama on a lot of issues, I certainly don't agree with him on everything. I understand why some of my friends and family are voting for John McCain, and although I don't agree with them, I do believe that John McCain will work hard to do what he believes is best for the country. But that is the beauty of democracy - we aren't supposed to agree on everything. We are supposed to work for the greater good for the greatest number of people. So, get out and vote tomorrow if you have not participated in the early voting process. You'll feel a whole lot better that you exercised your right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jim;

I hope everything turns out well in Iowa.

Jay